INGREDIENTS (SERVINGS 8-10)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 4 cups water
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 beaten egg
- 1⁄4 cup finely snipped cilantro or 1⁄4 cup parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- In a large saucepan cook onion and garlic in hot oil until onion is tender but not brown.
- Stir in water, broth and tomato paste.
- Bring to a boil; add potatoes and carrots.
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine egg, cilantro or parsley, salt, oregano and pepper.
- Add ground beef and rice and mix well.
- Form into 1 inch meatballs.
- Add, a few at a time, to the simmering soup.
- When all meatballs are added, bring soup back to boiling.
Reduce heat and simmer about 30 minutes, or until meatballs and vegetables are done.
Manzanillo Sun’s eMagazine written by local authors about living in Manzanillo and Mexico, since 2009