By Suzanne A. Marshall from the June 2016 Edition
INGREDIENTS (SERVINGS 8-10)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 4 cups water
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 beaten egg
- 1⁄4 cup finely snipped cilantro or 1⁄4 cup parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- In a large saucepan cook onion and garlic in hot oil until onion is tender but not brown.
- Stir in water, broth and tomato paste.
- Bring to a boil; add potatoes and carrots.
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine egg, cilantro or parsley, salt, oregano and pepper.
- Add ground beef and rice and mix well.
- Form into 1-inch meatballs.
- Add, a few at a time, to the simmering soup.
- When all meatballs are added, bring soup back to boiling.
Reduce heat and simmer about 30 minutes, or until meatballs and vegetables are done.