By Freda Rumford from the April 2011 Edition
• 4 cups all-purpose flour
• 1/3 cup sugar
• 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
• 1 1/4 tsps ground cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup fat-free milk
• 1/4 cup butter or stick margarine
• 2 eggs
• 3/4 cup raisins
• 1 tbsp chopped peel (optional)
• 1 egg yolk
• 2 tablespoons cold water
• 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
• 4 teaspoons orange juice
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine half of the flour, sugar, yeast, cinnamon and salt. In a saucepan, heat milk and butter to 120 degrees F -130 degrees F. Add to dry ingredients and beat just until moistened. Add eggs and beat until smooth. Stir in raisins, peel and enough of the remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Put kneaded dough into a bowl coated with non stick cooking spray, turning once to just coat top. Cover with tea towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled, approximately 1 hour.
2. Punch dough down; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 18 pieces and roll each into a ball. Place in two 9-in. round baking pans coated with non stick cooking spray leaving small space between each bun. Make a cross on top of each roll with a sharp knife,. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
3. Make glaze by beating egg yolk and water; brush lightly over buns. Bake at 375 degrees F for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Mix icing ingredients then pipe crosses onto rolls.