1 ¼ cup All Purpose Flour, sifted (plus extra for dusting pan)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt (omit if using salted butter)
1/2 cup salted/unsalted butter, melted and cooled (1 stick)
1 cup sugar
5 whole eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
Butter to grease the pan
FOR THE MILK MIXTURE:
1 can condensed milk NESTLE LA LECHERA
1 can Evaporated milk CARNATION
1 cup of Heavy Cream or 1 can of “Media Crema Nestle”
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
4 Tablespoons rum or brandy (optional)
1 1/4 cup heavy cream
4 Tablespoons of sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Canned fruit like peaches, mangos or fresh fruit like strawberries and kiwis. If using fruit to decorate, add just before serving.
1. Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Make sure to adjust the oven rack to a middle position. Grease and flour a 13-by9 inch pan and set aside.
2. Place flour, baking powder and salt in a medium size bowl and whisk together to mix.
3. With an electric mixer; beat the eggs one by one on a medium speed for about 45-60 seconds each, and slowly add the sugar in as a light dusting until it is all incorporated. The egg mix will be very fluffy and turn a light yellow.
4. Heat the butter just to the melting point in a small sauce pan.
5. Reduce the speed of mixer to very low and slowly add the melted butter and then the vanilla to the egg batter.
6. Add the flour in batches to the egg batter and mix until combined. You can also do this step using a spatula and gently fold the flour into the egg batter. DO NOT OVER MIX.
7. Transfer the batter to your prepared pan using a rubber spatula. Spread the batter evenly. Bake for 3035 minutes or until cake looks light golden or a wooden toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the cake.
8. Remove the cake and transfer to a wired rack to cool completely. Poke the top of the cake using a toothpick, skewer or fork all over.
9. Whisk the condensed milk, evaporated milk and cream together with the vanilla and rum in a sauce pan, warm over low heat until completely mixed. Remove from heat and set aside.
10. Once the cake has cooled pour the milk mixture over the cake, cover with a plastic wrap and refrigerated for a minimum of four hours or overnight.
11. Place the heavy cream, sugar and vanilla into a bowl and mix with a medium speed until soft peaks form. This will take about two minutes. I usually place the mixer attachment in the freezer and the bowl in the fridge before making whipping cream. This trick always works to form a smooth and fluffy frosting.
ASSEMBLE TO SERVE:
12. To assemble the cake; spread the whipped cream over the cake.
13. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
14. Arrange sliced or cut up fruit on the top of the cake. Remember, when decorating with fruit; do not add until ready to serve. Enjoy your cake with a cup of hot Chocolate Abuelita (almost every Wal-Mart store carries these products).
Manzanillo Sun’s eMagazine written by local authors about living in Manzanillo and Mexico, since 2009