- 3 pounds brisket
- 2 onions, 1 halved, 1 chopped
- 1 large carrot, quartered
- 1 stalk celery, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 12−ounce can whole tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 4−ounce can chile chipotle, drained and
- chopped (reserve liquid)
- ¼ cup light olive oil
- ¼ cup vinegar
- ½ pound Monterey Jack cheese, cut in ¼−inch
- 2 large avocados, sliced length wise
Oven: 325 degrees
Place brisket in a heavy pot and cover with water.
Add halved onion, carrot, celery, garlic, ½ cup chopped
cilantro, canned tomatoes, salt and pepper.
Cover and cook in the oven approximately 4 hours, until
Remove from liquid, cool slightly and shred thoroughly with a fork. In a large bowl, combine shredded beef, chopped onion, chopped tomato, remaining cilantro, chile chipotle and liquid to taste as well as oil, vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.
Let cool in the refrigerator at least 4 hours.
Before serving, toss with cheese and put into a decorative bowl. Garnish with sliced avocado. Serve with warm corn or flour tortillas or tostadas, pinto beans and guacamole or a tossed green salad.
For a spicier flavor, use more chile chipotle or pickled jalapenos or chopped or fresh green chile strips.
courtesy of freeallrecipes.com