This is generally found on most menus in Mexico, occasionally under the name of Aztec soup but whatever name it goes by it is delicious and satisfying.
• 1 large can chopped tomatoes with liquid
• 1 onion, chopped
• 1 garlic clove
• 3 cups chicken broth,
• 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
• 1/4 cup canola oil
• 6 tortillas
Slice tortillas into ¼ in strips and fry in hot oil until slightly brown but crisp
• Bulk or sour cream, Queso Blanco or grated cheddar, sliced avocado.
Put tomatoes, onion and garlic in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Transfer to a large saucepan. Add chicken broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered until heated through. When serving add fried tortilla slices, queso blanco, avocado and top with a large dollop of cream. Serves 4