By Manzanillo Sun Writer From the May 2017 Edition
Little-known information about Mexico’s fleet of road-side assistants.
- they’ve been in service for more than 50 years
- the group started out as military personnel from the 201 squadron that took care of the president
- they are not only mechanics but also provide tourism and destination information
- they cover 262 highway routes, 44 tourist destinations and 83 magic towns
- they are also pressed into service to help people in the event of a weather emergency
- they lead caravans coming in from the US to guard their safety
- each year, they cover 22 million kilometres which is equivalent to 565 trips around the circumference of the globe
- duration vacation periods, they set up camps near the high-ways to be closer in case of emergencies
- it’s the only service in the whole world that provides free roadside assistance to travelers
- just call 078 or 911 and you’ll receive immediate attention (tell them which highway, direction and kilometre)
So wave and say hello when you see them!
Download the full edition or view it online
Manzanillo Sun’s eMagazine written by local authors about living in Manzanillo and Mexico, since 2009