From the July 2017 Edition
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup Cajeta or Dulce de Leche
- 1 package of chocolate cake mix (340 g)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup oil (240 ml)
- 1 can evaporated milk (373ml)
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped; make sure shells are gone
Ingredients for the flan
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (300 ml)
- 1 more can evaporated milk (370 ml)
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 400 °F (we will reduce this setting just be- fore baking)
- Heat up the Cajeta to make it more liquid; take your time to grease with the butter the mold you are about use, then sprin- kle some flour to help with unmolding later on; pour the cajeta at the bottom of the mold, making sure it is evenly
- Prepare the cake dough as indicated on the package. Pour the cake mixture into the prepared mold over the cajeta, pour- ing gradually, little by little. Alternatively, you can use your own favorite recipe for chocolate cake rather than using a commercial
- Prepare the flan: first pour the sweetened condensed milk to the bowl of your blender and pulse a few times at low speed, then put the other ingredients in and blend, making sure your mixture does not have too much foam.
- Pour the flan preparation over the cake preparation in the mold, very gradually once again; here we are trying to avoid too much mixing between the cake and the flan but a little mixing is unavoidable and its ok.
- Cover the filled mold with foil to prevent the cake from spilling out by its sides. We will be using a bain marie in the oven to bake this cake; so place the mold we have filled with the chocoflan preparation in another larger pot, with 1 inch water in it; the level of water must not be higher than half the height of the mold so that the water won’t mix with the cake preparation while
- Put both pan and mold in the oven together and lower oven temperature to 350 °F, then bake for 1 hour approximately; do not open the oven before this time has passed! When the Chocoflan is ready, pull out of the oven and let it cool down for 20 minutes; cut with a knife around the mold then carefully flip the mold to a serving platter and unmold.
Latest posts by Julieann Gamit (see all)
- Impossible Cake Chocoflan/Pastel Imposible - 01/07/2017
- Camping in Catemaco, Veracruz - 01/07/2017
- Facebook privacy demystified (part five) Gotcha! Games and Facebook Apps - 01/07/2017