– 3/4 cup dry yellow split peas
– 2 14 1/2 – ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
– 1 cup water
– 1 12 – ounce package frozen corn kernels
– 1/2 cup chopped bottled roasted red sweet peppers
– 1 4 – ounce can diced green chiles
– 1 teaspoon ground cumin
– 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
– 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
– 1/2 cup tub-style cream cheese spread with chive and onion
Rinse peas. In a 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker, combine the split peas, chicken broth, water, corn, red peppers, chiles, cumin, oregano, and thyme. Cover and cook on high-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours. Cool 10 minutes.
Transfer 2 cups soup to a food processor or blender. Cover and process or blend until smooth. Return pureed soup to the slow cooker. Add the cream cheese to cooker; whisk or stir into soup until cream cheese is melted. If necessary, cover and cook about 5 minutes or until heated through.
Tip: For easy cleanup, line your slow cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner. Add ingredients as directed in recipe. Once your dish is finished cooking, spoon the food out of your slow cooker and simply dispose of the liner. Do not lift or transport the disposable liner with food inside.
Manzanillo Sun’s eMagazine written by local authors about living in Manzanillo and Mexico, since 2009