Manzanillo Sun article

How Long Can Retirees Contribute to Their IRAs?

2015 Finances June 2015 Yann Kostic

By Yann Kostic from the June 2015 Edition

Now that tax time has passed, many Americans are looking toward the next tax year, and they have a lot of questions about individual retirement accounts (IRAs). One big question: “If I turn 70 1/2 in January 2016, can I still make deposits into my traditional IRA?” (As a reminder, a traditional IRA is a retirement savings vehicle to which you contribute pre-tax dollars. The money grows tax-deferred, and you withdraw it in retirement, paying taxes on it then.)

The answer is yes. Because you will not reach age 70 1/2 in 2015, you are eligible to make a contribution for the 2015 tax year (which is the year before the year in which you turn 70 1/2).

The maximum contribution is $5,500, with one possible addition. Because you’re older than 50, you qualify for the 2015 “catch-up” contribution of $1,000, meaning in 2015 you can contribute up to $6,500.

There are some caveats. For example, you may not contribute more than 100% of your earned income, which consists of wages or salary from work but not dividend interest from your investments. So, if your earned income for 2015 will be less than $6,500, you may not contribute the full amount.

When it comes to withdrawing from an IRA, at age 59 1/2 anyone can begin taking distributions from his or her IRA without penalty. There are no penalties if you also take distributions up to the full balance of your account.

What is regulated are required minimum distributions (RMDs), which you must begin taking by April 1 of the year following the year in which you turn 70 1/2 (in this case, April 1, 2017). As listed by IRS Publication 590, your RMDs are determined by taking the total balance of all your IRAs as of December 31 of the prior year and dividing that number by your life expectancy.

Clearly, this is complicated, which is why it’s helpful to have an advisor to guide you.

Yann Kostic is a Financial Advisor (RIA) and Money Manager with Atlantis Wealth Management, specializing in retirees (or soon to be), self-reliant women and Expats in Mexico. Due to a recent transition to an international custodian, firm clients are now allowed to hold multiple currencies in a single account, including US dollars, Canadian dollars, Euros and Mexican Pesos for instance. Yann splits his time between Florida and Lake Chapala/Manzanillo.

Comments, questions or to request his Newsletter “News You Can Use”. Contact him at, in Mexico: (376) 106-1613 or in the US: (321) 574-1529

Download the full edition or view it online