By Manzanillo Sun Writer on the November 2019 Edition
(Makes 3 dozen 3-inch, perfectly crumbly and delicately
✓ 1 egg
✓ 1 tablespoon baking powder
✓ 1/2 cup sugar (plus 1 cup of sugar for coating)
✓ 3 tablespoons of cinnamon (plus 3 tablespoons for coating)
✓ 1 cup vegetable shortening
✓ 3 cups all-purpose flour
✓ Hand mixer
✓ Mixing bowls
✓ Rolling pin
✓ Measuring cups
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix 1/2 cup sugar and 3 tablespoons cinnamon in the blender or food processor.
3. Pour into a bowl and add egg, baking powder and shortening. Combine well.
4. Pour the flour in gradually, mixing it only 1/2 cup at a time. Towards the last 1/2 cup, the mixture will become difficult to stir. At this point, use your hands to knead the dough until smooth. If you find that the dough is breaking too much, add drops of water to help it stick together and continue to knead.
5. Roll it out to 1/4″ – 1/2″ thick and use whatever cookie cutters you have!
6. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake them for 10-15 minutes.
7. For the coating, combine the remaining sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Once the cookies are done and while they are still warm, gently toss them in the cinnamon sugar combination until fully coated.
8. Let cookies cool (or don’t) and dig in!
Source (article and images): Love and Tacos
Manzanillo Sun’s eMagazine written by local authors about living in Manzanillo and Mexico, since 2009